Tuesday, August 01, 2006

I spent my 38th birthday on Zanzibar Island off the coast of Tanzania, life is good! It's a neat island. The mix of Africa and Arabia makes for an exotic atmosphere. In being one of the 'Spice Islands' and the one time slave trade capital, Zanzibar has an interesting history. I spent some time walking through the winding alleyways of StoneTown, swam the beaches of Nungwe and did two scuba dives in the turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean. My first dive was to a wreck. It was not a historic ship but I enjoyed swimming into the hull and having staring contests with the fish. The coral reefs on the second dive were spectacular! The highlight though was hangin' out with a sea turtle for a time, they are beautiful, peaceful and graceful. Very fun!

I am in Moshi, Tanzania right now. Tomorrow I begin a six day climb up Mt. Kilimanjaro, Africa's highest peak. If I make it to the summit, it will be the highest mountain I have ever climbed at 5,895 meters (19,340 ft.) So wish me luck! I will try to write again soon!
Peace, Jeff. p.s. Happy Birthday to Phil who just turned 16!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home